Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2009

To all you Joe's -- Happy Feast Day!

I have to smile when I think that Joe the Plumber has St. Joseph the worker as his special friend and patron saint. But St. Joseph belongs to all the regular Joes who are fathers as well -- and all foster fathers -- named Tom, Dick, or Harry. They can all claim him for a friend and mentor. St. Joseph has a carpenter's tent big enough for every man no matter who his other patrons are. And what a model he is - real man's man: strong, patient, courageous enough to leave town with his family at night on a road commonly traveled by robbers. No arguments with God, just a hasty response to God's will. Scripture tells us he's a "just man," no small feat in any age. He says not one word in Scripture, but his faithful presence and his prompt obedience to God's will speak volumes.

The following prayer was reportedly found in 50 A.D. It can be prayed as a nine or thirty-day novena and would be particularly appropriate to pray with those in danger of death. Remember that St. Joseph is also the patron of a good death. What a friend to have beside you in your final hours!

O St. Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen

Imprimatur
Most Rev. George W. Ahr
Bishop of Trenton

No comments:

Post a Comment