Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Praise God in His Creation

Time out for a nature break. I can't help it. I'm sitting at my computer but I'm totally distracted by a pair of bluebirds nesting in a birdhouse attached to a pole about thirty feet from my window. There are four little blue eggs in the nest (They resemble the picture below.) and my little granddaughter and I have been going out to check every day to see if the babies have arrived. The house is tiny and I was surprised the bluebirds chose it since there is a bigger one nearby. But I'm glad they did because the other is obscured by tree limbs, but this offers a clear view and a continuous source of entertainment.

Usually the momma is sitting in the nest with her head sticking out the door. I keep a pair of binoculars on the desk and often spend a few minutes watching her. As a matter of fact I can see her head right now peeping out and her mouth is open as if she's yawning. Maybe even momma birds get impatient for the big day. And she is such a good little mother. The daddy often perches outside as if talking to her. "How's it going in there, Hon? Any progress? How much longer?" But babies come when they are ready.

Every now and then a hawk perches in the pine tree overlooking the house. Once I saw him at the door of the birdhouse and ran out to chase him away. Hopefully he will not be back when the babies arrive. I know, I know, he has to eat...but let him catch a field mouse, not the bluebirds.

What did hawks eat before the fall when the world was fresh and new and perfect without sin? Did animals prey on one another then, or did all creatures eat from the fruit of the land? Did the lion truly lie down with the lamb in the garden of Eden?

When I reflect on our beautiful world, it lifts my mind and heart to the Creator and I spontaneously rejoice with the psalmist:
Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights;
Praise him, all you his angels, praise him, all you his hosts.
Praise him, sun and moon; praise him all you shining stars.
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens.
Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded and they were created.
He established them forever and ever.
(Psalm 148:1-6)

And then I add my own words of praise:

Praise him, gentle bluebird as you sit upon your nest.
Praise him, robin redbreast in the peach tree.
Praise him, happy mocking bird, singing from the top of the flagpole.
Praise the Lord, tiny humming bird drinking at the feeder.
All you winged birds, praise the God who made you!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of birds, also. My favorite, the sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, gee! Hate to tell you this, but bluebirds like to eat grasshoppers and crickets. Yes, they are predators. Oh well, I just had chicken for dinner, so who am I to accuse the little birdies? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They eat mealworms too, but that's okay with me. We are definitely not in competition for our meal selections. How 'bout you? Did you have a few fried crickets as an appetizer? LOL!

    I've been reading my granddaughter a book called "Bugs for Lunch" which ends with several examples of cultures that consider tarantulus, grubs, and other assorted creepy crawlies as delicacies. Ugh! I'll eat dandelions and daylilies. I'll even eat snails occasionally. But I draw the line at roasted tarantula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homeschooling mom in MDJune 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

    I had asked this question about carnivorous animals, etc. to a dear priest/friend of ours and he posted his answer on his blog: http://wherethereispeter.blogspot.com/2010/01/sin-before-adam-and-eve.html . Read the whole thing but the one sentence which might summarize it is, "One might say then that the first “original sin” was that of the devil and his fallen angels."

    ReplyDelete