Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Evangelizing on Facebook

My daughter-in-law, Martina, just began blogging at Austin Catholic New Media. I had to laugh when I read her post because it made me realize how out-of-the-loop I am when it comes to using Facebook as an evangelizing tool. Oh, I have a page where all my blogposts go, but the entire Facebook world is like another planet to me. 1200 "friends"? But Martina has a talent for discussing serious things in a non-acrimonious way and with a healthy seasoning of humor. Take a look at her post and see for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Great post by Martina. As far as evangelizing on Facebook though...In my experience, people's opinions, outlooks, lives are changed through real human contact with someone who cares about them. I think Facebook can be very usual for some things but real friendship and evangelizing of the kind Christ did? Nope sorry. I wish they would change their verbage. Instead of saying--you have 1020 "friends", they should be honest and call them "people in your network". A friend is someone who brings you a meal when you have a baby, sends you a card on your birthday, makes time to talk to you on the phone. Friends are people who can give hard advice and challenge--in love--because they know you--the real you--in person.
    I just heard some thing on the radio today--a study about the number one reason people leave a church or parish. It is because of the lack of personal connections--the fact that people don't have time for friendship with them--probably because they're too busy keeping up with their 1020 virtual peeps. So sad. I wonder what God will have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete