Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Meditation: Hope in the Lord

I'm reflecting today on the virtue of hope. We need it desperately in view of the collapse of moral values, the increasing hostilities around the world, the flash mobs threatening our cities and towns, natural disasters, and the growing persecution of Christians. I find myself identifying more and more with the "weeping prophet" Jeremiah. His lament was today's first reading. "All the day I am an object of laughter; everyone mocks me. Whenever I speak, I must cry out, violence and outrage is my message; the word of the Lord has brought me derision and reproach all the day." Despite the persecution, being thrown in the dry cistern, being banished, etc. Jeremiah hung on until his persecutors finally killed him.

Many Christians today can identify with Jeremiah. Some have lost jobs for refusing to do or assist in abortions, others for daring to criticize the homosexual agenda. Christianity is under continuous attack from groups wanting to eliminate it from the public square. Whether it's removing the words "under God" from the pledge or nativity scenes from town squares, or crosses from everywhere, the assault on Christianity is relentless.

Praise God! We can identify, at least a little, with our brothers and sisters from the past -- the persecuted Christians of the first century and those from every century since. They rejoiced to be found worthy to suffer for the cross of Christ.

Talk about hope! They had one foot in heaven and no earthly threat could shake them. "Viva Cristo Rey!" cried the Mexican martyrs as they were shot. Let's pray to be like them not fearing those who can kill the body but not the soul.

Memorize the Act of Hope and say it often to keep your eyes firmly fixed on what's coming for those who finish the race.

O my God, relying on Your almighty power
and infinite mercy and promises,
I hope to obtainpardon for my sins,
the help of Your grace, and life everlasting,
through the merits of Jesus Christ,
my Lord and Redeemer.
 Amen.



2 comments:

  1. This rather reminds me of the old saying "Trust everyone, but cut the cards" and the older saying "Put not thy trust in princes."
    Our only sure hope is in God.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete