Search This Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014

IVF: It's Not a Victimless Sin!

IVF is presented as a life-giving procedure. But for every life allowed to reach birth there are other lives snuffed out. And for the survivors of IVF, the lucky select ones, there is pain for the loss of siblings. One young woman's cri de coeur makes it clear that IVF can leave deep scars on the living. "Why me?" might be her cry. "Why did I survive? Why did my siblings have to die?" Read and weep:
I was one of three embryos created in the process, but I was the only one who survived. I mourn my siblings every single day. I can’t talk about them with my parents, because bringing the subject up inevitably causes fights, and they don’t feel the way I in the do. They don’t regret what they did, they don’t see anything wrong with IVF, and they don’t count my siblings as members of the family....
It hurts me every time I see in the news something about IVF, because the media treats it as if it’s okay. There’s never any mention that people die during the process. I don’t even know if there’s anyone else out there who feels the same way I do. If there is, I’ve never met them. Sometimes, I feel like a freak. The only person I’ve found who understands me at all is my local priest, who I’ve spoken to about everything, but I can’t be bothering him all the time! It’d be nice to have someone else who understood. [More here.]
Technology has made many things possible, but some of those possibilities involve monstrous sins. IVF seems to be a solution for those with fertility problems, but it is like Sophie's choice. The parents choose the children that live and the children that die. And in the process they help to legitimize human sacrifice. We have become the Aztec empire. Our world is drenched in the blood of victims sacrificed on the gleaming lab altar, but most people close their eyes to it. God help us all on judgment day for allowing this human sacrifice to continue with such little opposition.

For more on the moral issues relating to IVF see:

In Vitro Fertilization: the Human Cost

Malta's Bishops Speak Out Against IVF

1 comment:

  1. Common procedures for treating infertility in the past have included artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer and reproductive assistance and sperm extraction techniques. Additional options and choices for parents include newer technologies, several of which include forms of assisted reproduction, known as ART, including IVF (in vitro fertilization) and PGD (pre-implantation genetic diagnosis), assisted zona hatching (AZH) and autologous endometrial coculture (AEC) and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
    __________________________
    IVF Clinic Turkey

    ReplyDelete