Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2016

Go Where ISIS Isn't

           I just came from this...
The Virgin of the Apocalypse, Quito, Ecuador
             and returned to this...
The Man of the Apocalypse, America

Every year one of my (Protestant) bosses at work takes his family to Europe - England, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Switzerland. On Monday after my return from 10 days in Ecuador, he stopped by my desk, leaned over and in sotto voce said, "Why Ecuador?" 

"Excuse me?" I said.

"Why Ecuador?" he repeated. "Why did you go there?" 

My first thought was to say, "Because it's a Catholic country. Because the people are kind and lovely. Because in Ecuador they don't teach transgenderism to toddlers in preschool. 
Because ISIS isn't there. Because it's safe."

However I didn't say any of that. Instead I told him the truth. "Because my older daughter and son-in-law, who have been to several countries but never to Ecuador, were going there for a month, invited me and paid for my ticket."

A few days before leaving, Orlando experienced horrific events within 3 days. First Christina Grimmie was murdered while signing autographs after a performance, then the Pulse massacre happened, then 2 year old Lane Graves visiting Disney with his (Catholic) family from Nebraska was killed by an alligator. 

I was glad to escape this city where I grew up, a place of former marvelous and happy memories, but now a city which somehow has turned into a place of danger, evil, fraud and deceit. To prove my point, Alan Grayson is from Orlando. 

Perhaps South America is the new Europe as far as travel is concerned. Whereas once people went to London, Paris and Rome maybe now they will go to Quito, Buenos Aires and Lima. In other words, be safe. Go where ISIS isn't. Stay away from transgenderism and gay hotspots. And don't come to Orlando. It's too dangerous here.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Ann,

    I hope your retreat was a fine one!

    Speaking as one who has a brother who is... going through "the change" (*He* being 6'5" weighing in at about 275 lbs. is *not* a woman) - :^( - Whenever I see this... "it", I so want to start a website titled:

    www.who-the-hell-cares?.com

    God help us,
    Catechist Kev

    ReplyDelete